According to a U.S. official, President Trump has pulled more than 2,000 troops from Syiria and soon after he declares victory over ISIS in Syria.
Trump withdrew the droops from Syria under the assumption that the mission against ISIS is complete. This is according to a source that is not authorized to speak publicly about the issue until it is announced.
President Trump took to Twitter to announce the victory over ISIS in Syria.
“We have defeated ISIS in Syria, my only reason for being there during the Trump Presidency,” President Trump tweeted.
We have defeated ISIS in Syria, my only reason for being there during the Trump Presidency.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 19, 2018
Despite this announcement of victory over the Islamic State, there is still U.S.-led fighting continuing to happen there.
Per USA Today:
On Saturday, there were 47 airstrikes conducted by war planes against ISIS targets, U.S. Central Command announced early Wednesday. The bombs struck 20 ISIS fighting units, destroyed petroleum tanks, a tunnel, vehicle and a mortar-firing position.
Further, according to a recent report by the Center for Strategic and International Studies, it is far from obliterated. The Washington-based think tank estimates ISIS may still possess between 20,000 to 30,000 militants in Iraq and Syria.
As recently as last week, officials said U.S. troops may need a longer stay to insure that the military’s accomplishments are “enduring.”
“I think it’s fair to say Americans will remain on the ground after the physical defeat of the caliphate, until we have the pieces in place to ensure that that defeat is enduring,” said Brett McGurk, Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS.
Despite the fighting continuing to happen, one cannot argue the progress that has been made by President Trump and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis.