Russian hockey goalie Saveli Kononov was named man-of-the-match after his performance that led Izhstal Izhevsk to a 3-2 victory against rivals Chelmet.
Kononov was awarded an AK-47 as a prize after being voted man-of-the-match by his teammates.
It’s safe to say this is not something that would happen in the United States.
Russian Goalie, Saveli Kononov, received an AK-47 after being named player of the game by his teammates – WTF pic.twitter.com/2tVFskX3Ou
— HockeyTroll.ca (@Hockeytroll_ca) September 11, 2019
There has been a series of unique awards handed out by hockey teams. Even NHL teams have made this into a custom.
Some examples of these awards in the NHL include the Carolina Hurricanes giving away a wood chopping axe and the New York Rangers give away a “Broadway Hat” for each of their star performers of the game.
— NY Rangers (@rangerscity) May 27, 2015
— Leveraxe (@thesmartaxe) April 25, 2017
But these awards pale in comparison to the Russian team handed out an AK-47.
More Stories on Guns:
- NASCAR Rejects Gun Ads, Cites ‘Gradual Shift’ on Their Stance on Guns
- Nancy Pelosi: Next President Could Declare National Emergency on Guns
- 61-Year-Old Homeowner Shoots and Kills Two of Four Home Intruders, One Was Wearing ‘Jason’ Mask
- Walmart Responds to Two Deadly Shootings by Barring Customers From Openly Carrying in Stores and No Longer Selling Some Ammunition
- Reverse Gun Control: The Philippines Wants to Hand Out Free Guns to the Public to Fight Drugs and Crime
Can you imagine the outrage from the media if an American sports team handed out an assault rifle as a prize to an athlete? Things are definitely different om Russia, to say the least.